The Thrashers' very impressive six-game winning streak ended at the beginning of this five-game series with a loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Now, as disappointing as that loss was, it was a close loss to the NHL's hottest team: the Penguins won their 8th straight that evening and are currently on a 12-game winning streak. That's just bonkers. The Thrashers also dropped a game in this series to the Colorado Avalanche: the Avs played a strong, fast game against Atlanta and avenged an overtime loss from the last five-game series.
Despite the 3-2 record over these five games, the Thrashers started to look a little more vulnerable. Ondrej Pavelec's invincibility seemed to fade and the Thrashers allowed 14 goals (compared to just 4 in the last series). Still, a sub-3.00 GAA should be sufficient for the Thrashers to continue winning games.
Other good news? Despite a slight dip in the power play, the Thrashers' penalty kill remained strong, closing down 15 of opponents' 17 changes. While Dustin Byfuglien's insane play has slowed down a bit, the Thrashers saw scoring across all lines: no player had more than 3 goals or 4 points fro the 15 goals scored over the period.
Numbers are below.
Over This Five Game Period
- Record: 3-2-0 (0.600 P%)
- Goals Scored/Allowed: 15/14 (1.07)
- PP%/PK%: 18.75%/88.24%
- Goal Leaders: Little (3), Burmistrov, Ladd, Oduya (2 each)
- Assist Leaders: Byfuglien, Antropov (3 each), Sopel, Ladd, Eager, Peverley (2 each)
- Point Leaders: Little, Ladd, Antropov (4 each)
- +/- Leaders/Trailers: Kane, Little (+3 each), Sopel, Thorburn (+2 each), Burmistrov, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Antropov (-2 each), Ladd (-3), Peverley (-5)
- Team +/-: Minus-3
- Shot Leaders: Ladd (17), Stewart, Byfuglien (15 each)
- Blocked Shot Leaders: Sopel (14), Hainsey (13), Bogosian (11)
- Hit Leaders: Kane, Stewart, Boulton (10 each)
- Faceoff Leaders: Slater (23-for-35, 65.7%), Peverley (57-for-94, 60.6%)
- Points %: 0.583, 17th
- Goals Scored: 3.13, T-6th
- Goals Allowed: 2.87, 19th
- 5-on-5 GF/GA: 1.00, 17th
- Power Play: 23.1%, 4th
- Penalty Kill: 81.0%, T-21st