Before we get to the standard game preview stuff, I wanted to return to a question I asked at the end of December: should we be worried about the Thrashers? (For reference: A Long December for the Thrashers) At the time, they were falling precipitously in the standings.
January hasn't been much better. The Thrashers are 4-4-4 this month - I had to double-check my counts, but that's correct - and hopes of a second playoff berth for this franchise are dimming every game. Folks, 0.500 hockey will not get us into the post-season.
Some Thrashers stats for January, just in case you thought things were going better now than in December:
- Power Play: 5-for-55, or about 9%
- Penalty Kill: 37-for-47, or about 79%
- Games with 2 Goals Scored or Less: 7 of 12
- Games with 3 Goals Allowed or More: 7 of 12
- Average Attendance at Philips: 11,326 (or 61% of capacity)
- Average Attendance at Philips excluding the Washington Capitals Game: 10,238 (or 55% of capacity)
- Games Against Teams Currently Outside the Playoffs: 6 of 12
- Record in Those Games: 2-2-2
So we're all feeling pretty good, right? Standard game preview stuff after the jump.
Here's NHL.com's quick stats breakdown: